RE: July report

Two new rebloomers are throwing buds, which should open by the weekend:
Midsummer Night's Dream
Pagan Dance - Blythe
My previous rebloomers are throwing second stalks now:
I. germanica nepalensis
Late Magic - BB
Ironically, not one dwarf has shown a proclivity for rebloom yet.
I believe those that are performing now are actually all first blooms, coming from about 6 inches of well-spaced rains through July, and a pretty good late June, all on the heels of a very dry April and May, which caused a lot of stunting and no-shows.
Next year it will be differenct. A new bed just for rebloomers has been dug and it will be well composted and all the recognized rebloomers will be placed there along with a mess of them (Appalachian dialect for an indeterminate large amount - greater than you can hold in two hands), that just arrived in three cases yesterday from Sutton's. As usual, Mike was very generous with extras, especially rebloomers. I will probably plant them this weekend until I can get beds finished and the compost tilled in. So far, since Graplet bloomed on Halloween and lasted into Nov., I've only had Dec. and Jan. this year where I did not have an iris blooming, and these new stalks will get me into August.

James Brooks
Jonesborough, TN
hirundo@tricon.net
Webmaster: