Re: SPEC: Iris missouriensis

From: dlouis@dynamicro.on.ca

On Thu, 29 Jul 1999, Dennis Kramb wrote:

> From: Dennis Kramb <dkramb@badbear.com>
>
> My Iris missouriensis and Iris missouriensis var. pelogonus seedlings have
> died.  Is it normal for seedlings (just a few months old) to go dormant?
> They get about 8 hours of full sun per day.
>
> My Iris missouriensis "longipetala" are being grown in shade (about 4 hours
> of sunlight per day) and they are HUGE and not at all dormant.

> Dennis Kramb; dkramb@badbear.com
> Cincinnati, Ohio USA; USDA Zone 6; AIS Region 6

Dennis, I have I missouriensis seedlings both from seeds planted last
fall and a couple planted in 1997. The ones planted in 1997 died back
during the summer so I moved them to test whether the location was bad
for them. They reappeared in the new location this spring but did not
get much bigger ie they are still seedling size as of now and have died
back once again. The ones that were new this spring are in 2 different
locations one of which was the same as last year ie got the same amount
of sun ie about 6 hours per day. These have died back and I am trying to
decide if I should move them or not. The others are in a location which
gets less sun per day and is slightly moister. There are only 3 of these
and they are not large. There were 7 of the ones in the "died-back"
location. Unfortuately I did not count the seeds so I am not sure what
the percent germination was but it was not high.

--
Diana Louis <dlouis@dynamicro.on.ca>
Zone 4/5 Newmarket, Ontario, Canada

URL for the North American Native Irises web page
http://molly.hsc.unt.edu/~rbarton/Iris/NANI.html

ONElist announces "FRIENDS & FAMILY!"
For details, including our weekly drawing, go to
http://www.onelist.com/info/onereachsplash3.html