CULT: iris borer pupae

OK I'm sure many of you are sick of this subject, but I was digging around today out in the bed where I had such a bad infestation of borer (you may recall my 4 garbage bag story) and I was wondering how I would identify the borer pupae that may (probably are?) slumbering in the ground.  Specifically, how deep in the ground would they be and approximately how big are they?  Is it reasonable to be looking for them as a measure against next year's infestation?
After what those ugly caterpillars did to my little darlings, I AM ON THE WARPATH!
Thanks in advance for your help--
Mary Blatz
Skaneateles, NY (near Syracuse)  USDA Zone 5