Re: CULT: Transplanting Irises

  • Subject: Re: CULT: Transplanting Irises
  • From: neilm@charter.net
  • Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 10:58:35 -0000

--- In iris-talk@y..., RYFigge@a... wrote:
"Irises are like babies - they can survive all kinds of conditions..."

I discovered by accident that the ideal time to transplant (not ship)
bearded iris is right after they bloom.  I don't trim back the
foliage--the plant does that itself.  Noting the prior post's
observation that the roots are pruned--true.  I would never consider
not cutting back most plants on transplant.  With bearded iris,
however, I make sure as much of the root system as possible is
intact, and I keep them at "optimal field moisture" as much as rain
or drought allow.  Tip over?  Yes, but for the first few days, a
nudge and a foot pressing the soil just a bit firmer straightens them

They look sloppy as all get out for the first few weeks.  Maybe the
trim-back is for OUR benefit--an esthetic one--more than to benefit
the iris.

The highest increase rate and the strongest growth plus bloom I have
ever seen has come from late May-early June division and reset--
without the butch haircut.

Neil Mogensen  6b/7a (the garden spans two microclimates) near
Asheville, NC