HYB: success rates (or why commercial hybridizers live somewhere else...)

  • Subject: HYB: success rates (or why commercial hybridizers live somewhere else...)
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 17:02:57 -0400

Out of ~151 intentional crosses this year, I have 5 pods, at least one
of which looks suspiciously not filled out.  I also have one insect/bee
pod on PINK FORMAL and two on I. reichenbachii (see photo of fuzzy
bumble type bee at work in the photo previously posted to iris-photos -
it's a bit hard to make out, but it's there).

Of 771 seeds planted last year, most of which looked fat and sassy, only
18 germinated this year (stratification outdoors).

For those interested in what was willing to breed in my awful growing
conditions this year, successful crosses were:
    1) supposedly FLICKERING FIRELIGHT (a very pretty yellow from Chet
Tompkins that I think may have been mislabeled or misdescribed - sort of
    3) WILD CARD X INTO THE NIGHT (keep your fingers crossed on this
and two of my seedlings:
    4) (IMMORTALITY x CELEBRATION SONG) X unknown that Chuck Chapman
thinks might be CORAL BEAUTY
    5) white seedling: (I.pallida x MULBERRY ROSE) X DESIGNING WOMAN

Of the crosses from last year that germinated, 5 had IMMORTALITY as pod
parent (IMM was frozen out in bud this year), 11 were from BEHOLD A
LADY, 2 were from a really late super tough bronze unknown, and one was
from a lookalike to the unknown weedy variegata that Neil Mogeson posted
to iris-photos (possibly PT Barnum).

There are also 13 seedlings from LOW LIFE X ROCK STAR and 2 from MISTY
LADY X SWEET MUSETTE (gift seeds from .. drat, forgot again!) and 2 I.
tectorum from Jeff Walters.  SWEET MUSETTE grows well not too far from
here, but has died for me the several times I've tried it.  MISTY LADY
is new here.  I have no idea who or what LOW LIFE  and ROCK STAR are,
but the cross threw a bunch of healthy babies.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8