RE: HYB: success rates (or why commercial hybridizers live somewhere else...)

  • Subject: RE: [iris-talk] HYB: success rates (or why commercial hybridizers live somewhere else...)
  • From: John Reeds <jreeds@microsensors.com>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 14:24:22 -0700

Sounds like frustrating lack of results, though it should be easy to keep
your seedlings labeled.  Low Life sounds like a median of some sort.  Rock
Star is a smaller TB that should have been called a BB; usually less than
the required 28".  A Monty Byers reblooming space-age plicata with excellent
appendages and raspberry-on-apricot coloring.  Standards are a bit open,
that and the lack of height are even more pronounced in most of its
children.  I finally got a couple of interesting babies from it this year.
It is one of my pet vices, attractive and dependable despite the height and
slightly open standards.  The form and substance are otherwise fine.  It
bloomed heavily all winter 2 years ago, bloomed off and on this last winter,
and still gave me at least 60 stalks out of an approximately 7 square foot
bed this spring.

John Reeds, in sunny southern Calif.
jreeds@microsensors.com

	 From: 	Linda Mann[SMTP:lmann@icx.net]