CULT: Transplanting Irises

  • Subject: CULT: Transplanting Irises
  • From: vince lewonski <vincelewonski@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 15:55:23 -0700 (PDT)

--- Paul Tyerman <ptyerman@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
> As far as I know the reason for trimming back the fan is
> to stop the newly
> planted rhizome from toppling over.  This is generally
> the case in shipped
> plants because it helps conserve space, plus the roots
> are removed so it
> had no means to stabilise itself in the ground.

V. sez:
   I have always heard that the reason for trimming the
foliage was to reduce water loss from the leaves until the
plant is settled in.   I have never seen proof of this, one
way or another.

> I was also told when I first started with irises that you
> must be extremely
> careful with iris roots as they do not regrow if the root
> tip is broken
> off.  I was told that they do no branch and they they
> would have to start
> growing a new root to replace it.  If you have been told
> this it is a LOAD
> OF CRAP!!!!!  I have tested this specifically to find out
> and if a root is
> broken it will branch and more roots will emerge from the
> side of the
> existing root.  I originally treated them with extreme
> care as I was afraid
> of hurting them...... they will survive just fine on
> their own.

V. sez:
   There was someone growing irises in what was mostly
shale, and they had great growing irises with lots of
branching roots. The theory was that the sharp edges of the
shale would cut the roots, and force them to grow new ones.

Vince Lewonski
Secane, Pennsylvania, USA Zone 6b
"I used to be lactose intolerant - now I'm just intolerant."

Do You Yahoo!?