Re: Re: CULT: Transplanting Irises

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re: CULT: Transplanting Irises
  • From: "Patrick Orr" <PatrickJOrr@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 16:34:13 -0700

Hi Tom,

First off, if you can wait on transplanting the rhizomes a few days to a couple weeks after digging them out of the ground and dividing them, you should have better results.  This gives the cut part of the rhizome time to "scab" over.  If planted into the soil without a chance to scab over, bacteria or a fungus can enter the rhizome through the cut part and may cause damage.  If your rhizome is a little green, this will harden it off a bit before going back into the ground.

Second, I know you wrote you are in zone 7, but just in case...if your temperatures are above 100 degrees at that time, you may want to hold off transplanting until the temperatures drop below 100 for at least a week.

I have always been told cutting the leaves helps the plant not to go into shock. But now that I have been in this a while, that statement no longer makes sense to me.  However, if you do not cut the leaves, they will most likely droop anyway.  By cutting them, they will stand erect.

My BEST advise, contact your local iris club for direction for dividing and transplanting in YOUR AREA.

Patrick Orr
Phoenix, AZ  Zone 9
USA