Re: Re: CULT: Transplanting Irises

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re: CULT: Transplanting Irises
  • From: "Colleen Modra" <irises@senet.com.au>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 06:04:43 +1000

Interesting commects from all. I think climate has a lot to do with the best
time for transplanting. Here in Astralia we're just undertaking a major
transplant. I agree that immediately after flowering is the best time.
However as commercial growers we are too busy shipping at that time to do
any transplanting. We don't like transplanting in the full heat of an Aust
summer, or shipping for that matter. Too many inexperienced growers insist
on having their gardens well watered in during the heat. Instant rot for
newly planted bearded iris. However we have found that with our milder
winters (most of Southern Australia is Zone 8 or 9) irises transplant well
as they are coming out of summer dormancy. (wouldn't work for really cold
areas). This year has been a very dry autumn and we like to plant with the
first winter rains.
However I think that in Australia bearded iris can be planted any time, with
appropriate care and watering.. We certainly don't trim the roots or leaves
(don't have time) when doing a major transplant. Just break 'em up and move
All the commercial growers here, that I know, move their stock April-June.

Colleen Modra
South Australia.