HYB: HIST: important pinks report

  • Subject: HYB: HIST: important pinks report
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 14:26:32 -0400

After Sharon M's suggestion regarding CHERIE and HAPPY BIRTHDAY, I
remembered that part of the reason for trying to grow some of these
pinks in the Rot Queen's torture chamber was that some pinks were
showing up a lot in pedigrees of irises that have done reasonably well
here, yet pinks have a kind of weak reputation for performance in this
general region.  So I was curious to see how some of these older pinks
performed - to see if they have better vigor that might be 'retrieved'
into modern pink lines.  I don't remember seeing CHERIE or HAPPY
BIRTHDAY in those pedigrees, but MAY HALL certainly showed up a lot.
However, I wasn't able to find it in commerce.  Jeff, has it turned up
anywhere yet?

Anway, all of that reminded me of another important ancestral pink that
I do have: MARY RANDALL - it was totally unprotected, 2nd bloom season
here, and did not bloom.

VANITY, which I've had forever, usually is damaged by the late freezes
because she tries to bloom a bit too early, but even so managed to open
a few stunted, distorted blooms this year with no protection.

(When I say 'important', I mean it shows up in a lot of pedigrees of
survivors here - I don't know enough about TBs in general to say whether
or not these are 'important' to all pink breeding)

Jeff, others, are there some key Fay or Hall pinks that you'd like to
hear about how they grow here?  Since  my speciality seems to be making
irises miserable, I figure I should continue to gather data ...:-(

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8