Re: SPEC: I.Foetdissima

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] SPEC: I.Foetdissima
  • From: Paul Tyerman <ptyerman@ozemail.com.au>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 09:34:40 +1000

At 11:44  3/06/01 EDT, you wrote:
>   has indicated the WHY it
> is grown -- not the leaves, not the flower, but the seed pods which are
used

Are you sure that is why the variegated form is grown?  That's what I'm
talking about.  In 5 years of flowering mine has never set seed pods.  The
foliage is very nice and it really doesn't matter that the flowers aren't
spectacular as the veriegated foliage stays strikingly all year... unlike
some variegates that fade off over time or go green.

I love the variegated clump that has been there now for years without care
or attention.  Still no pods though, but flowers every year.

I realise that the normal form is definitely grown for the pods, although I
think it's leaves are another reason, as it is everygrteen with nice glossy
permanent leaves that many that tolerate shade plants do not have, plus the
bonus of the flowers (which are interesting although not stunning).

Cheers.

Paul Tyerman
Canberra, Australia.  USDA equivalent - Zone 8
mailto:ptyerman@ozemail.com.au

Growing.... Galanthus, Erythroniums, Fritillarias, Lilium, Aroids, Irises
plus just about anything else that doesn't move!!!!!