Re: SPEC: I. foetidissima

  • Subject: Re: SPEC: I. foetidissima
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 07:42:47 -0400

<My I. foestidissima always comes up in the
Spring, but never blooms.  Does anyone have a solution to that, besides
scolding it with threats to toss it out?  Rosalie nr Baltimore   zone 7>

Rosalie, several years ago the guys at Superstition Iris Gardens sent a
nice start of I. foetidissima which has grown well but like yours, had
never bloomed, until this year.  It is blooming now, well after TB
season, which makes me wonder if it has bloomed before and I just missed
it.  Nothing special about this season or anything I've done to it in
the past year that might have encouraged it to bloom this year.  I may
have fertilized it this spring for a change, but don't think so.  We had
a drought during TB bloom and constant rain & cool temps since - not
unusual here, but maybe more extreme than usual.  Late freezes were a
bit worse than usual, but not remarkably so - my 'index' of severity of
late freezes is whether or not the pear trees manage to set fruit - they
did.  Many years they don't due to late freezes.  Not a bumper crop
tho.   The only difference I can think of is that winter temps were
consistently moderately cold, without the usual up and down warm spells.

Anyway, keep an eye on yours after other irises have quit blooming.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8
weatherman sez it would have to rain 1" every other day for 2 months for
our rainfall deficit to get back to 'normal'.  I think we are
trying.....