Re: SPEC: I. foetidissima

  • Subject: Re: SPEC: I. foetidissima
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 15:06:13 -0400

Paul Tyerman in Canberra Oz asked:
<where do people grow theirs?  I know that I.
foetidissima is one of the few irises that will flower in full shade,
my variegated gets most of the afternoon sun (and flowers every year...
although many years I find that out afterwards when I notice the spent
flower stems).>

Mine is in pretty dense shade on the east side of the house, where even
without a dense canopy of trees, it would only get a few hours of
morning sun.  I made the mistake of letting some seedling American elms
stay where they sprouted, assuming Dutch elm disease would take them out
before they got to be a shade problem.  The elms are approaching a foot
in diameter and are definitely providing more shade than I want.  In
addition, a storm last year twisted a big limb partially off one of them
without killing it, and now that limb now droops down is draped over the
bed where this iris is blooming.  Definitely dense shade.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8