OT: Yes, Rosalie, there is a Whidbey Island

  • Subject: OT: Yes, Rosalie, there is a Whidbey Island
  • From: pbrooks@whidbey.net
  • Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 16:59:21 -0000

Rosalie,

In answer to your question about whether Whidbey Island is really an
island or just a misleading name of a town...

Yep, it's an island -- about fifty miles long and irregularly
narrower.  It's an hour and a half north of Seattle, then a 20-minute
ferry ride to the east side of the island; and from the west side a
half-hour ferry ride to the Olympic Peninsula, town:  Port Townsend.

It's a gardener's paradise, temperatures almost never at freezing and
highs seldom into the serious '80s.  Its only weather hazard is WIND,
which can be fierce, coming from the Pacific and roaring through the
Strait of Juan de Fuca.

Come visit my burgeoning iris garden in Coupeville, about center-
island.  Though no one will want you to settle here permanently (it's
a perfect retirement locale):  everyone wants to be the last to move
here.

Or read about it in my series of mystery novels.  I first came here
to a women writers' residence, fell in love, and decided the only way
I could get back here to live was to set a series here, so if a
publisher bought it, they'd have to send me back to continue the
series.  Titles:  FALLING FROM GRACE and BUT FOR THE GRACE.  (How's
that for shameless promotion?)

Patricia