HYB: good pollen givers

  • Subject: HYB: good pollen givers
  • From: pbrooks@whidbey.net
  • Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 17:29:36 -0000

Hi, all,

Sparked by a newcomer's quesion of how you choose the pollen and pod
parents, the route I followed was an exhaustive search of R&I for
mention of pollen and/or pod parents of those introduced.

But I thought it might be helpful to all during this season of
hybridizing to report on the best pollen-givers we've found in our
own gardens.

I've been thrilled to get plenteous pollen in this my first season of
hybridizing.  Starting with my favorite TB so far:

Electrique.  Endless pollen and so far, all of it has set pods.
Reincarnation, a fascinating mulberry-blend SA.
SDB Little Violet Charm -- gorgeous!
Lullaby of Spring, lovely big pastel yellow and blue.
Perfect Couple, white with blue, earliest of most reblooming of mine.
Divine TB, dark vio, white Bs.
Gothic, faint pastel SA I've used as a sort of blank slate with darks.
Titan's Glory -- pollen appears sparse, but it has set pods.
Sweet Reflection, a gorgeous vio ameona.
Streetwalker, older but fascinating, with a luminata look (or real?)
Samurai Warrior, my all-time favorite red, big blooms, depth of color.
Mother Earth, subtle, full and fabulous RE.
Sky Blue Pink, my favorite of my many pinks, most appearing too peach.
Timescape -- lovely blue-on-white, large, ruffled, understated.

And more have set pods.  And new are still opening.

Patricia Brooks
Whidbey Island, WA, zone 8