Re: RE: OT-RHS colour chart

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] RE: OT-RHS colour chart
  • From: John I Jones <jijones@ix.netcom.com>
  • Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 13:44:28 -0400

on 6/5/01 10:08 AM, irischapman@netscape.net at irischapman@netscape.net

> The colour chart has been revised and reissued. Cost is 125 British pounds for
> non members of Royal Hort Soc, 100 British ponds for members.
> RHS Enterprises
> RHS Garden Wisley
> Woking, Surrey
> GU23 6QB
> Tel:(01483)212357
> Fax:(01483)212447
> I've considered using the pantone colour processing chart which includes CYMK
> codes(four colour codes used in printing and pictures can be set this way in
> the computer) so you can adjust your photo to match noted colour and to adjust
> your moniter and for use with catalogues, present to printer so they can
> accuratly match colour. Cost of this is about $80, USA$ and they have more
> colours then RHS chart.

I just happened to get the following today from Emazing  (a computer and
internet Tip service) today:

(General) Here's just a little information about color in the computer

-Your computer monitor displays colors by combining three basic colors--red,
green, and blue--together. This is RGB (short for Red, Green, and Blue).

-When you print files, they are normally printed using a four-color process.
The colors used to print are cyan, magenta, yellow, and black. This is known
as CMYK (for Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, and blacK).

-When you scan, most scanners pick up and convert their data to RGB. When
you print, you're using CMYK. Problem is, the range of available colors in
the RGB palette is more extensive than CMYK's palette. This means that some
of the colors you see on your screen may not print out as you see them on
your screen. If you use Photoshop, you can preview your work in CMYK mode
and have the colors that are out of range displayed so you can tweak them.
You may want to keep this in mind when creating graphics for printing.

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
Fremont, California, USA
Visit my website at:

Asst. RVP, Region 14 of the AIS