Re: [OT] Photo colors was HIST: Pink Ruffles

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] [OT] Photo colors was HIST: Pink Ruffles
  • From: arilbredbreeder@cs.com
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 16:18:33 EDT

In a message dated 6/5/01 11:29:39 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
gmbeasle@aol.com writes:

<<
 Wouldn't a standardized color card included in a photo help one to know the
 actual color of the item being photographed???  You could put your standard
 card next to the one in the picture or print and see if the color was the
 same.

 Now I have another question.  Since the RHS charts are so expensive, isn't
 there some other chart that could be substituted?  Doesn't the printing or
 graphics industry or the paint industry or someone have a fairly universal
 substitute that could be used??  Why just say the RHS chart is too expensive
 and give up?  You wouldn't have to have EVERY color.

I used the MacBeth color chart [a photographers' tool] for this.  Back in the
days when custom processing was available, a closeup of this chart at the
beginning of the roll could be used to balance the colors in printing --
making it possible to compare seedling photos taken under different
conditions.

Although I experimented with including the appropriate portion of the RHS fan
in the shot, I found it much easier to use its numbers in the written
description then compare the print with the original.

Sharon McAllister