OT: Northern Tour

  • Subject: OT: Northern Tour
  • From: "wmoores" <wmoores@watervalley.net>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 19:20:47 -0500

I just returned from viewing my 'second bloom season.'  This one was
in the northern suburbs of  Minneapolis, cold country.

Such well grown irises and at the peak of their perfection in an area
I though was unkind to irises.  Maybe, it is the black soil that is
the color of freshly-laid asphalt.  The settings for the immaculate
gardens were awe-inspiring - really beautiful garden designs with
optional viewing of peonies and tremendous hostas.  These folks were
so prepared, the tour reminded me of a National.  Others said so,
too.  We're ready for a full-fledged AIS Convention in Minneapolis!

Wonderful flowers, food, and iris fellowship abounded.

Two great training schools conducted by newly appointed judges kept
our attention on the subject.  Having new instructors was really
great.  Thanks Judy, Ray, and Bill.

It was really hard to pick some winners, but here they are as voted
by those on the tour.

Best Guest - Rush Creek, absolutely fabulous variegata out of
Rustler. Coolhand Jack Worel has given us this creation.  He has many
others waiting in the wings.

Best Non-Guest - Rhonda Fleming, picking up other awards on her way
to the Dykes.  Show stalk after show stalk in all of the clumps yet
uncrowded and making her a good garden variety as well.  Just tops in
every way! You should know who her father is by now!

Thanks to all of the members of the Iris Society of Minnesota for
giving us a fun time.

Walter Moores
Enid Lake, MS USA 7/8