Re: soaking seeds

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] soaking seeds
  • From: storylade@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 07:31:33 EDT

In a message dated 6/10/2001 9:29:22 PM Central Daylight Time,
donald@eastland.net writes:

<< You don't soak before planting in the fall? >>

Once I've potted the seed, I usually soak the pots down three or four days in
a row, if I get the chance.  Still, that's not the same as the  water tank
treatement.  I've always wanted to try that, but was afraid they would sprout
before winter.  Usually, the rains and alternate freezing and thawing are
enough to break down the seed.  It's rare that I think to water in the
winter.

Again, the best germination came the year I dug a trench for the pots.  Of
course, I always mulch the pots with leaves.  I water the pots before I put
the mulch on. This year, I'm going to place the pots in direct sunlight so
all the processes will be amplified.

Betty / Bowling Green KY USA  Zone 6
Only those who dare to dream can make a dream come true.