TBs: OWYHEEs and bloom seasons

  • Subject: TBs: OWYHEEs and bloom seasons
  • From: "Ellen Gallagher" <ellengalla@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 16:28:40 -0000

--- In iris-talk@y..., vince lewonski <vincelewonski@y...> wrote:

>I have both OWYHEE AMETHYST and OWYHEE DESERT (which are sibs), and
both were short (12") for me. I have seen OD in one other garden in
PA, and it was about the same height.One recent PA transplant from
Idaho assures me that it grew tall in Lucille Pinkston's (the
hybridizer's) garden.<

I am ordering O.DESERT this year to test it out (so to speak) in Zone
3 as to height. It was blooming short in Oklahoma and Dallas so north
it must come.

Rosalie said she has only 6 irises blooming now. We haven't reached
peak for TBs or Siberians. CONFEDERATE ROYALTY and LEMON CHESS opened
today along with another 10 IBs and a few BBs. BERRY RICH (BB) from
the Craigs is luscious and the MTBs are stealing the show this year
with FESTIVE GLOW from the Willotts being the star. REFORMATION (IB)
from the Craigs is loaded with bloomstalks ditto with their MTB,
PAYOFF.

But the favorite so far is MISS MAUVE (IB) hybridized by Rick Tasco
and I keep coming back to it - the color is so distinct AND it is
vigorous and has multiple bloomstalks on a first-year plant. Usually
it takes at least 2 years to see any bloom even on a Median. Siberians
and TBs usually take 3 years. The bloom is excellent this year even
considering we had snow on the ground a scant 6 weeks ago and the
flowers must have had to go into overdrive.

Ellen Gallagher
Berlin, NH,USA
Zo