RE:CULT:Pacific coast natives

  • Subject: RE:CULT:Pacific coast natives
  • From: "Schroter, Chad" <chad_schroter@maxtor.com>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 09:41:50 -0700

John,
	Conventional wisdom says that the PCN's like to be dryish in summer
which would be at odds with your roses. However I have had some success in
light soils (not clay) where the watering was consistent and did not
approach flooding. In one area I have PCN's within 2 feet of a rose and the
area is heavily mulched with leaves - this area gets drip irrigated twice a
week, including the PCN's, though I have extra drippers for the rose. In
another area I have PCN's within 2 feet of Louisiana Iris under a deciduous
tree doing fine with overhead sprinklers. The PCN's are along the edge of
the path so they get less water. My prevailing wisdom/theory: If PCN's dry
out in summer and go part dormant it can be fatal to water them during hot
weather - Otherwise regular watering is OK in well drained soils. Beware of
highly humid conditions say from frequent overhead watering as the fungus
rust will develop on the leaves. Filtered sun is Ideal for PCN's, especially
inland of the coast.

	I'd give a few a try if you have good drainage....

Chad Schroter
Los Gatos CA Zone 9