Iris in Pots

Has anyone in the northern climates (I'm area 5) ever successfully
kept potted bearded iris over the winter?
I have received one response from another list that said it can be
done, but still, I'd like to see if anyone here has done it, and what
to expect.
What I would like to do is put some pots in the unheated, but
attached garage after a frost shocks the foliage in the Fall. It is
cold, but probably doesn't freeze unless it is very very cold
outside. These are smaller 'starts', that I did not want to put in
the garden ground, cause they will get savaged by slugs (this is slug
paradise here), and I have grown to like seeing them sitting on my