Re: RE:CULT:Pacific coast natives

  • Subject: Re: RE:CULT:Pacific coast natives
  • From: "Ellen Gallagher" <ellengalla@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 18:19:39 -0000

--- In iris-talk@y..., "Schroter, Chad" <chad_schroter@m...> wrote:

> My prevailing wisdom/theory: If PCN's dry out in summer and go part
dormant it can be fatal to water them during hot weather - Otherwise
regular watering is OK in well drained soils. Beware of highly humid
conditions say from frequent overhead watering as the fungus
rust will develop on the leaves. Filtered sun is Ideal for PCN's,
especially inland of the coast.

> 	I'd give a few a try if you have good drainage....

I realize that this was written to somebody on the West Coast...but I
would like to just add that John White, a Japanese and Siberian
hybridizer of some note of Minot, Maine, has been growing and
hybridizing I. tenax, both light and dark varieties for some time. All
I know about I. dougliasana (certainly not how to spell it) is that I
have it emblazoned on a t-shirt :).

John White won the best seedling award with one of his I. tenax
seedlings at the Maine Iris Society show on June 10th. Other folks in
our club also said that they are growing PCNs. I did plant tenax seeds
(both light and dark variety) from Signa one year and had no
germination. It wasn't the weather - they never left my basement.

Ellen Gallagher