Re: Iris in Pots

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Iris in Pots
  • From: Janet <mtirisgirl@web-you.com>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 20:59:21 -0600

At 03:27 PM 6/15/2001, Laetitia wrote:
>Has anyone in the northern climates (I'm area 5) ever successfully
>kept potted bearded iris over the winter?

We are in Zone 5 (Billings, Montana)  Last fall our Big Sky iris club had a
late farmers market sale in August.  We planted about 100 iris in pots.
after the sale.  They all had new growth on prior to the first freeze.  We
lost about 90%.  Our club thought it might have been due to a severe
winter.  We had our first freeze in October and the iris did not have a
chance to adjust to winter.  The freeze was here to stay with very little
warm up .  Also most club members had more than average soft rot this
spring.  We are thinking the iris did not have time to adjust to the cold
and were full of moisture when they froze.  Several club members planted
iris in pots unsuccessfully.  We left them outside all winter, did not put
them in a protected place.  The ones that did survive this test certainly
are hearty. Janet