Re: Iris in Pots

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Iris in Pots
  • From: craigiris@ipns.com
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 21:34:50 -0700

I am dismayed to hear of your losses. Do you set your pots into the
ground right up to the rim and then mulch them as you go into the winter
( freezing season)?

Do you add lime ( dolomite to the soil and give them good drainage? a
must, especially if they are potted). When we lived in a similar zone we
sank our pots into the ground and loosely heaped the soil up around them
to minimize the frost heaving.

And probably most importantly, do you insist that you iris be sent to
you very early in the summer so that the roots may become established?

I wish you well.