Re: RE:HYB:Toughness

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] RE:HYB:Toughness
  • From: laurief <laurief@paulbunyan.net>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jun 01 09:15:01 -0000

>My OFF BROADWAY appears tender here and gets nipped back quite often
>during the winter, but just the other day Laurie in northern
>Minnesota posted a nice bloom on it.  Wimpy tender in MS and rugged
>in MN??

I think the reason OB is blooming so nicely for me, Walter, is because by
the time any significant plant growth commences way up here in zone 3b -
and before any TB would even consider starting to grow a bloomstalk - our
hard freezes are essentially done for the season.  Not that we couldn't
get a devastating late freeze, but those wild hot period/cold period
swings that apparently happen in MS and TN during stalk development
rarely happen here.  I guess there are advantages to having to suffer
through a couple months of *everyone else's* spring bloom reports before
my irises have even broken ground.  ;-)

Laurie - with another 8 new (to me) TBs open today in the garden!  Time
to grab the digital camera, which at this point may as well be growing
directly out of my hand!

zone 3b northern MN