Re: RE:HYB:Toughness

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] RE:HYB:Toughness
  • From: "Eleanor Cecchini" <eleanore@mb.sympatico.ca>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 22:10:57 -0500

I would agree with you, Sandra!  I check my irises for viability, which
means if I see it start to grow, I mark it as having survived winter.
Later, after a severe frost, I note the same iris is either dead or severely
damaged, and no bloom for that season.

MDB Red at Last actually made it to setting buds.  We had a cold week, and
it just withered away.  I thought it had leaf spot or ant damage.  Dug it up
a while back, and all the rhizomes were healthy as could be.  It's drying
out in the shed for now.  Same with MDB Bee Wings.  It actually started to
bloom before the cold weather, then it rapidly declined.  It too is drying
in the shed.

I've had a fantastic bloom season, aside from that, but many irises set 4
falls, which I had only seen on SDB Sarah Taylor before.  She, of course,
set only 3 falls this year!

Note that TB Edith Wolford has survived her 3rd and last chance here, but I
doubt she'll set buds because of the late frosts and colder weather we had.

El, near Winnipeg
Manitoba, Canada Z3