Re: HYB: Seedlings in Cold Frame

  • Subject: Re: HYB: Seedlings in Cold Frame
  • From: pbrooks@whidbey.net
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 04:33:23 -0000

Linda,

I was interested in your saying that most of your crosses were wide.
I'm wondering how you measure "wide."  Different colors altogether?
Or patterns?  This is my first year of crossing, and I've made many
crosses within the same general color, as well as some wider --
mostly pinks with blues in my pursuit of the pink-with-blue-beard.
So I'd have some to compare germination-wise.

As sisters-in-growing-zone, I'd especially value your experience with
all this.

Patricia Brooks
Whidbey Island, WA, zone 8

--- In iris-talk@y..., "robert stewart" <crusher4@w...> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> New to iristalk was reading your info and decided to ask you why
you wish you were in zone 7.  Reason being and I am in zone 7.  Is
this a great place to start TB seed.  Where can seed be got.  Sure
learn alot in iristalk and meet some of the nicest people.

>                                    Sandy

Indianapolis,  a
>   solid zone 5.>
>
>   Apologies if you already have thought of this, but keep in mind
that
>   different crosses (and unfortunately, individual seeds within one
cross)
>   will possibly/probably respond to your treatments in different
ways.  So
>   we will need to split the seeds from each cross among
treatments.  Most
>   of my crosses are wide and seem to produce less than full seed
pods, but
>   I should have 20 seeds or so from each of my crosses.  I will
experiment
>   with 6 or so seeds from each cross - unfortunately, that may not
give me
>   any seedlings if I have my usual low germination rate.
>
>   If anybody has about 100 seeds from an individual TB cross (which
brings
>   up another topic that I will post separately) that they'd like me
>   experiment with, I'll do it ('normal' outdoor late fall planting
vs
>   summer chill, soak, & start early, then overwinter outdoors).
>
>   Good luck Mary Lou - be interesting to compare notes here next
year and
>   the following year.
>
>   Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8
>

>         Yahoo! Groups Sponsor