Re:TB: Fragrance

  • Subject: Re:TB: Fragrance
  • From: ranchiris@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 11:15:35 EDT

Hi,
    My favorite fragrant iris is DIVINE by Mary Dunn.  It is well named!
Also very good is FLIGHTS OF FANCY by Keith Keppel, and IMHO it is one of the
prettiest luminatas around.  SPLASH OF RASPBERRY is fragrant, and grew well
in many of the gardens at the Denver Convention.
    Many of the Byers rebloomers have good fragrance - ZURICH, ST PETERSBURG,
& HIS ROYAL HIGHNESS are fragrant and good rebloomers here in Southern
Arizona.  Thank goodness that many hybridizers & growers are starting to take
notice of fragrance - it is a very desirable quality.
    It was interesting a couple of years ago when we held our Show in
conjunction with the local Rose Society at the same mall.  We each had a
large empty store at opposite ends of the mall.  A common comment from the
public was that they were so surprised at the wonderful fragrance when they
walked into the Iris Show, and how disappointed they were that there was no
real fragrance in the room at the Rose Show!

Kathy Chilton, President
Tucson Area Iris Society
Zone 8/9  Tucson AZ