Re: TB :HIST: Suggestions?

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] TB :HIST: Suggestions?
  • From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <jcwalters@bridgernet.com>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 16:06:28 -0600

Mike U. asked for some recommendations of bitone yellow histoic irises, and
Rosalie Figge suggested:
> How about PINNACLE (in the late '40s as I remember --- white standards
and a
> plesant clean yellow falls - not brassy  Years ago, one of my favorites

PINNACLE is a splendid iris, generally considered to be the first yellow
amoena TB - a stunning breakthrough when it was introduced (1949). It has
always been a tremendously vigorous grower and bloomer for me, which is
especially welcome in a color class that seems to have more than its share
of wimps. Perhaps even closer to the color combo Mike requested is SUMMIT
(1948), which has pale yellow standards and medium yellow falls. It bloomed
for the first time for me this year, but it appears to have many of the
good qualities of its stablemate. Both PINNACLE and SUMMIT were bred by the
renowned New Zealand hybridizer, Jean Stevens.

Tell Muhlestain bred some very fine early pink TBs. Two that are in the
true pink range without any orangey influence are PINK FORMAL (1949) and
PARTY DRESS (1951).

HIPS Commercial Source Chairman
jcwalters@bridgernet.com