Re: Re: CULT: Starting TBs in Cold Frame

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re: CULT: Starting TBs in Cold Frame
  • From: "MARVIN EDWARDS" <fjmjedwards@worldnet.att.net>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 18:15:04 -0700

Pat, I don't freeze any iris seeds.  The past two years I soaked them for 10 days in Styrofoam cups and changed the water every day.  What a job!  Then I wrapped them in black plastic and put them in the bottom of my refrigerator for three months according to George Sutton's directions.  I take them out in January or February, plant them in large plastic pots which I bury in the garden and cover with a seed blanket.  I believe some call it Remay.  I have had the best germination that way.  When the Arizona sun hits them, they come right up.   I believe Colleen in Australia told of putting them in nylon stockings, tying and marking each cross carefully, of course, and putting them in a toilet tank where they get the water changed at each flush.  That should shorten the soaking time.  I really believe that they do have some substance that inhibits germination and has to be washed off.  It keeps seed from sprouting in the wild until there is a year wet enough to support growth of the plant.   That might not be a problem where you live though.
Francelle, in dry southern AZ