Re: TB HIST: Suggestions?

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] TB HIST: Suggestions?
  • From: Carol Canfield <Carolcc5@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 23:57:19 -0700 (PDT)

Oh, yes, Sharon:  I've been around quite long enough
to remember Grapette, in those little 6oz bottles!
It is certainly true that we each have our own brand
of weather related problems.  Our area is famous for
late freezes after spells warm enough to cause bud
break on fruit trees.  There are a lot of peach
growers around the Fredericksburg area that have given
up on fruit production and turned to other things, one
growing pumpkins and another that I know about who
grows chili peppers!  These late frosts will destroy a
bud that is forming but they are not cold enough to
hurt the plant.
The biggest destroyer of iris here is humidity and
heat.  We fertilize lightly just after bloom and then
pretty much leave them alone with just an occasional
watering until they perk up and begin to grow in the
fall at which point, we feed them again.  We do not
dig or plant until Sept. or Oct.  When I receive
shipments of new plants in July or Aug., I pot them up
and hold them in a shady area until later.  The
biggest problem is a combination of heat, humidity,
nitrogen and poor drainage.  All this leads to *rot*.
I'm very fortunate in that I have atypical soil for
this area and the drainage is perfect.  In six years
here, I have not had any rot.  I knock on wood!!  We
don't have borers so I guess our intense heat is good
for something!
As far as colors, I guess I'd have to say that oranges
and pinks are my biggest problems.  Oktoberfest puts
the lie to the orange category.  It is quite vigorous
but insists on blooming in Feb.  It bloomed again in
early May this year.  I find that Pink Dancer is the
most reliable pink while another grower about 60 miles
east of me gets fabulous blooms from Vanity.

Carol