Re: TB :HIST: Suggestions?

  • Subject: Re: TB :HIST: Suggestions?
  • From: neilm@charter.net
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 11:24:29 -0000

--- In iris-talk@y..., "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <jcwalters@b...>
wrote:
"Tell Muhlestain bred some very fine early pink TBs. Two that are in
the true pink range without any orangey influence are PINK FORMAL
(1949) and PARTY DRESS (1951)."

I agree with your comments about SUMMIT and PINNACLE.  On Tell's
pinks, you may not be aware that there is a great variation in
expression of the lycopene pigments depending on climate, elevation,
soil chemistry or a combination of those factors.  All of the line,
and the Hamblen derivities derived from her crossing these with the
(blue x Hall) X Hall line she developed (VALIMAR, etc.)do not look
nearly as pure pale red anywhere outside of Utah as they are at
home.  In western Idaho, PINK FORMAL was intense, deep salmon pink.
In the Willamette Valley I do not believe the line developed nearly
as much depth of color as it did in the high desert country.  In the
east they were just plain washed out by comparison.

I only wish this were not so.  I loved Tell's pinks and relied on
them heavily in trying to breed for pink, but I found Fay's pinks
more tolerant of other climates and truer color away from home.
Crosses between the lines were fruitful.  Tell introduced a couple of
mine from this combination in the seventies that I wish I could
retrieve now (JOYFUL NOISE, SANCTUS, PORCELAIN ROSE).  They are long
gone in the dim mists of faded history.

Neil Mogensen