Re: Re: TB :HIST: Suggestions?

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re: TB :HIST: Suggestions?
  • From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <jcwalters@bridgernet.com>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 08:24:59 -0600

> From: neilm@charter.net
> I agree with your comments about SUMMIT and PINNACLE.  On Tell's
> pinks, you may not be aware that there is a great variation in
> expression of the lycopene pigments depending on climate, elevation,
> soil chemistry or a combination of those factors.  All of the line
> do not look
> nearly as pure pale red anywhere outside of Utah as they are at
> home.  In western Idaho, PINK FORMAL was intense, deep salmon pink.
> In the Willamette Valley I do not believe the line developed nearly
> as much depth of color as it did in the high desert country.  In the
> east they were just plain washed out by comparison.

Years ago when I was in high school and lived in New Jersey, I grew JUNE
MEREDITH (Muhlestein, 1954). Though memory can play tricks, I recall it as
being a clear, true light pink, not at all "washed out". I did not mention
JM in my reply to Mike U. only because I am not aware of any current source
for it.

HIPS Commercial Source Chairman