color change

I'm a novice gardener, and I transplanted blue irises that were next
to the house to a new location.  When they came up this spring they
were all pale yellow! The new location has several evergreen trees
close by so I'm wondering if a more acidic soil could have caused the
color change.  There's more shade in the new location, although they
do get some direct sun.  I'm live in Duluth, MN.

Also, I planted them a bit too deep, and although I don't think this
affected the color change, I am concerned about the longer term
problems that could result from this error.  so i have two questions:

1.  Is it common for irises to change color from blue to yellow in
different soil or other environmental conditions?
2.  What are the long term effects of planting irises too deep, and
should I replant them this fall?

Thanks!