Re: RE:HYB: Blacks with red beards/Toughness, Pinks, etc

  • Subject: Re: RE:HYB: Blacks with red beards/Toughness, Pinks, etc
  • From: neilm@charter.net
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 09:39:12 -0000

--- In iris-talk@y..., "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <jcwalters@b...>
"...vigorous and floriferous...which unfortunately does not seem to
be true of WILD WINGS (Keppel, 1999...."

WILD WINGS on a one year clump here has seven increases, bloomed
normally despite frosts that got most of the bloom in the adjacent
clumps, and has vigorous, attractive foliage.  I couldn't ask for
better performance--so far!  One year, however isn't much of a test.
Just--"So far, so good."  Your comment is noted, however, since I
assume you've had WW longer than one season.

On the matter of pink colors and JUNE MEREDITH, I saw Carryl Meyer's
post commenting on COPPER as a nutrient for pinks deepening the
color.  Hmmmmm....Utah and Montana have copper deposits. Just out of
curiosity, do you remember what all you had used in NJ as soil
ammendments or fertilizer?  I have some Oregon-born pinks here that
need a color boost.  They don't look like they do westward.

JUNE MEREDITH was definitely one of the more satisfying pink-pinks of
Tell's line.  It did not have the color depth for me in Idaho that
was portrayed on the cover of his catalog, however.  It is well
represented in its progeny even if no longer commercially available.

Neil Mogensen,  zone 6b/7a near Asheville, NC