Re: Re: color change

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re: color change
  • From: <dlouis@dynamicro.on.ca>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 06:24:04 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 18 Jun 2001 lmmunro@hotmail.com wrote:

> I am pretty much a novice too, but I have never heard of an iris that
> had such a dramatic color change from blue to yellow. I wonder if
> anyone else out there had this experience?? I personally cannot
> believe that it is possible.
> Did you see the blue iris blooming and know for sure they were the
> ones you replanted? Maybe there were some yellow ones, which did not
> bloom in the original location, but favored the new location, and
> that is what you see now.
> --- In iris-talk@y..., mmwilson@c... wrote:
> > I'm a novice gardener, and I transplanted blue irises that were
> next
> > to the house to a new location.  When they came up this spring they
> > were all pale yellow! The new location has several evergreen trees
> > close by so I'm wondering if a more acidic soil could have caused
> the
> > color change.  There's more shade in the new location, although

Actually this is the third or fourth time this kind of thing has been
reported on this list. At first I accepted the suggestion that there
might have been made a mistake in picking the colour of the clump. But
it is always purple changed to yellow not the other way round or
any other colour changing colour. So now I am wondering if the rhizome
had been too long in the same position and maybe was depleted in
something? What happens if you leave the rhizome for a few years? does
the colour change back? Is there anybody out there who reported such a
colour change and who has had a chance to observe the flower colour on
the rhizomes? What colour are the irises this year?

Diana Louis <dlouis@dynamicro.on.ca>
Zone 4/5 Newmarket, Ontario, Canada
AIS, SIGNA, Iris-talk, Canadian Wildflower Soc.