Re: TB: Slow Blacks

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] TB: Slow Blacks
  • From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <jcwalters@bridgernet.com>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 08:06:53 -0600

> From: wmoores <wmoores@watervalley.net>
>  What are the good
> growing blacks?  TOM JOHNSON was not black to my eyes, and its beard
> was yellow and not red as listed in an earlier post on this thread.

TOM JOHNSON (P. Black, '96) is a dark violet rather than a black iris, but
everywhere I have seen it (Colorado, Utah, Idaho, Oregon, California) it
has had fiery orange beards as depicted in the photos in the Mid-America

As for good growing blacks (ones without red beards), the best performers
here among the relatively recent introductions are BLACKOUT (Luihn, 1986)
and BACK IN BLACK (Schreiners, 1986). Among the historics, the best
performing blacks are BLACK HILLS (Fay, 1951) and BLACK TAFFETA (Songer,
1954). None of these equals the best blues, whites, yellows, bicolors, or
plicatas in performance, but they are dependable and reasonably vigorous.