SPEC: Neomaricas (again)

  • Subject: SPEC: Neomaricas (again)
  • From: Paul Tyerman <ptyerman@ozemail.com.au>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 22:02:32 +1000

Howdy All,

A quick query for you all if I may?

Are the Neomaricas bulbous, rhizomatous or what?  As far as I know the N.
northiana has no bulb but sort of looks a normal type of species iris
(except the flowers are at the end of the leaves and then keikis form after
the flowers).  I just purchased an N. caerulea and it is bulbous.

Can anyone confirm that this is right for these two species?  One bulbous
and the other not?  It surprises me that they would be the same genus when
so radically different..... but then again when you look at the diversity
of the genus "Iris" then they are far more diverse than what I've just
described as the genus "Neomarica".

Does N. caerulea also produce babies at the end of the leaves?  Do the
flowers emerge from the end of the leaves?  I'm hoping someone out there
can answer these questions as it has got me pretty intrigued.

Thanks in anticipation.

Cheers.

Paul Tyerman
Canberra, Australia.  USDA equivalent - Zone 8
mailto:ptyerman@ozemail.com.au

Growing.... Galanthus, Erythroniums, Fritillarias, Lilium, Aroids, Irises
plus just about anything else that doesn't move!!!!!