Re: TB HIST: Suggestions?

  • Subject: Re: TB HIST: Suggestions?
  • From: lmmunro@hotmail.com
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 21:22:33 -0000

You could take a look at the FLAVESCENS photo I posted on the iris-
photos group. Unfortunately, on my posting I left on alot of previous
messages, so you have to scroll to the bottom to get to the picture.
The blooms have,at least to my perception, different shapes to their
blooms; some are longer in the falls, some rounder.
But FLAVESCENS sure is tough!. I have a little one in my
garden..rescued this year from a clump engaged in an ongoing turf war
with a couple of neighbor's garbage cans (but still blooming its head
off)!
Laetitia

--- In iris-talk@y..., "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <jcwalters@b...>
wrote:
> > From: lilylvr <lilylvr@k...>
> > I have an iris here, can't remember the name of it, it is
supposed to be
> a species. It is a pale yellow with brown veins. Color in clump
looks light
> yellow. It does real well in shade and last year we put some in the
sun and
> it seems just as happy there.
>
> Wendy,
>
> Your iris sounds like it might be FLAVESCENS, which was named and
described
> as a species by the Swiss botanist DeCandolle in 1813, but which
Dykes
> declared to be an obvious hybrid not entitled to species status. The
> flowers are borne on branched stalks about 30 inches tall with pale
lemon
> yellow standards and even paler, brown-veined falls; beards pale
yellow
> tipped orange. FLAVESCENS is well known for its ability to survive
and even
> thrive under less than ideal conditions.
>
> Jeff Walters in northern Utah  (USDA Zone 4/5, Sunset Zone 2, AHS
Zone 7)