Re: HYB: wide crosses

  • Subject: Re: HYB: wide crosses
  • From: pbrooks@whidbey.net
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 18:11:49 -0000

Linda,

I can SO relate to the careful research, then using whatever pollen
comes on whatever bloom seems a good mix when the time comes.  This
was my first year of hybridizing; and while I only (mostly) bought
irises that were confirmed fertile from my research, when the time
came, I played it by eye.

And you're right about the island.  It's the most perfect gardening
climate I've found -- and I've lived all over the country.  That's
why I spent eight years working to come here to retire.  And true to
its reputation for my favorite flower, it produced pollen beyond my
wildest dreams.  Especially my favorites:  ELECTRIQUE, REINCARNATION,
SAMURAI WARRIOR, and ENCHANTING just outdid themselves, all in their
first year of bloom.

I've ordered a shameless number for next year's bloom (which I
call '02 cvs, whoever asked) so I'll probably be swimming in it, if
anyone would like me to send some to them.  I am so grateful to iris-
talk for all the great advice, and to iris register.  I'd still be
mired in my first mistakes otherwise.

Patricia Brooks
Whidbey Island, WA, zone 8

--- In iris-talk@y..., Linda Mann <lmann@i...> wrote:
> Patricia Brooks Whidbey Island, WA, zone 8 said:
>
> <I was interested in your saying that most of your crosses were
wide.
> So I'd have some to compare germination-wise.  I'm wondering how you
> measure "wide.">
>
> In my case, I'm trying to create some tough TBs as breeding stock
with
> enough mixed genetic background so that if I live long enough, I can
> breed a diverse collection of colors and patterns that will thrive
(?)
> here in my peculiarly difficult growing conditions.  What I try to
do is
> track pedigrees before bloom season so I know more or less which
> cultivars are the result of line-breeding for a single color and
pattern
> (usually these  turn out to be selfs or plics here), which ones have
> potential I. reichenbachii genes, which aphylla, which variegata,
which
> pallida (all species that have various survival traits here).
(aphylla
> cultivars don't do well at all here (barely live), but sometimes
some
> TBs with some aphylla in the mix seem to handle summer drought by
> shutting down, dropping leaves if things get too bad), & which ones
have
> high potential for recessive this 'n that (patterns & colors).
Then,