Re: Green irises

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Green irises
  • From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 18:21:53 -0500

The iris with the strongest tint of green as it grew here this year was MORE
REFRESHING (Hoage '82), a TB.  It was greener than GREEN AND GIFTED, an iris
that leaves the impression of having green as opposed to really having a lot
when examined closely.  PRIDE OF IRELAND could only be described as yellow
with a hint of chartreuse and that hint is more obvious by direct comparison
with another yellow.  By itself, the effect was yellow.  The other irises
that definitely bring green to mind when viewed are CHIMERA (Zurbrigg '62),
an IB and JEWEL OF OMAR (Boswell '86) an OB- arilbred.  Anything else I've
acquired that contained the description 'green', proved to be mustard or
dark gold or something along those lines and not green to my eye.  Though, I
suppose BAYBERRY CANDLE could be described as having an olive cast on the
falls and it would be as apt as anything else.  I think it has had some
interesting comparisons applied to the color in the past.  My growing
conditions with extremely bright sun and very lean soil may affect the
colors compared to being grown elsewhere.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7, USA