Re: Douglas Iris

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Douglas Iris
  • From: Paul Tyerman <ptyerman@ozemail.com.au>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 11:52:51 +1000

At 08:26  22/06/01 -0700, you wrote:
>  Hi Group! Was just given a couple of pkts of seeds of Douglas Iris..
>  Has anyone grown these or are familiar
> with them? Would like to know where to plant them and what needs they have
> plus what color they are! Thanks for any info!

Hi Lorna,

Most likely Iris douglasiana.  Not sure of hardiness, but I had it for
years here in Canberra, until I lost it in the grass to neglect.  I really
liked it to.  Haven't seen it for sale since.  Flowers are blue.  They're
related to the Pacific Coast Natives (Iris innominatas etc) in fact I think
that it is one of the 4 species used in the creation of the modern hybrids.

Paul Tyerman
Canberra, Australia.  USDA equivalent - Zone 8

Growing.... Galanthus, Erythroniums, Fritillarias, Crocus, Cyrtanthus,
Liliums, Hellebores, Aroids, Irises plus just about anything else that
doesn't move!!!!!