seed pods

Hi.  I did a few crosses a couple of weeks ago with the tall bearded
Iris that I have in my back yard.  The seed pods started growing but
they either broke off prematurely or they turned yellow and seemed
like they shriveled up. can you tell me what went wrong or is this
just normal and you need many many crosses for a few to take.
Thanks.  Donato.