Re: CULT: Starting TBs in Cold Frame

  • Subject: Re: CULT: Starting TBs in Cold Frame
  • From: pbrooks@whidbey.net
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 17:41:38 -0000

Francelle,

In reviewing your methods, I'm wondering if you don't dry the seeds
after their soaking, before they go into the black plastic and into
the fridge.  Otherwise, don't they rot in such airtight conditions?

Patricia

--- In iris-talk@y..., "MARVIN EDWARDS" <fjmjedwards@w...> wrote:
> Pat, I don't freeze any iris seeds.  The past two years I soaked
them for 10 days in Styrofoam cups and changed the water every day.
What a job!  Then I wrapped them in black plastic and put them in the
bottom of my refrigerator for three months according to George
Sutton's directions.  I take them out in January or February, plant
them in large plastic pots which I bury in the garden and cover with
a seed blanket.  I believe some call it Remay.  I have had the best
germination that way.  When the Arizona sun hits them, they come
right up.   I believe Colleen in Australia told of putting them in
nylon stockings, tying and marking each cross carefully, of course,
and putting them in a toilet tank where they get the water changed at
each flush.  That should shorten the soaking time.  I really believe
that they do have some substance that inhibits germination and has to
be washed off.  It keeps seed from sprouting in the wild until there
is a year wet enough to support growth of the plant.   That might not
be a problem where you live though.