Re: CULT: Potted Irises

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] CULT: Potted Irises
  • From: Foley Martin <emjfoley@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 10:54:26 -0700 (PDT)

 Mr. Moores,
Gave a lot of thought when first getting into irises 5 years ago. Did I want them planted directly into the ground, raised beds, or 24" diameter plastic containers.
The plastic containers offered the most advantages. Approximately 150 of 170 of the irises in this garden are grown in these containers. Advantages: 1 - Weeding, it is a snap. 2 - Plants grow towards the sun, if one of the irises "leans" toward the sun, all I do is turn the container. 3 - drainage, Michigan has been known to have monsoon rains at times.
For winter, the fans are trimmed to approximately 5 - 6 inches in the shape of an upside-down "V" and then burlap is placed over the containers and attached with clothespins. Maybe, my eyes are deceiving me, but I think they grow better in containers than directly into the ground.
The only disadvantage, container gardens are not allowed on regional tours. Would love to have my garden in the Region 6 regional tour in 2003, but the local club tells me it is just not allowed.
Best Regards, Martin

  wmoores <wmoores@watervalley.net> wrote: I have been looking at pictures on iris-photos posted by Mr. Foley
Martin from Michigan.

Do you grow irises exclusively in pots?  The pictures show quite a
few potted ones in the background.  You have some very nice blooms.

How are the potted irises winterized?

Walter Moores
Enid Lake, MS USA 7/8

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor