Re: CULT: Potted Irises

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] CULT: Potted Irises
  • From: Foley Martin <emjfoley@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 12:40:24 -0700 (PDT)

 Reply 2 of 2 to Gary White,
The bottom 6 to 8 inches of each container contains 1 bag, 40 lbs. of rockstone. Not 1 borer seen in 5 years. Aphids sometimes appear but rosedust takes care of them. Squirrels are the main predator, in July when new rhizomes arrive and when divisions are replanted. They show up again just as they are gathering food for winter's hibernation. Perhaps the scent of the rhizomes is appealing to them, then? Have lost 3 containers in 5 years due to the temperatures ranging from -10C to 100C.
Best regards, Martin, southeast Michigan, Zone 4
  Gary White <bentfork@neb.rr.com> wrote: Hi Martin,

     I am very interested in your potted irises, also.  I can see the
advantages of growing them in containers.  Do you have any pest
problems, such as deer, etc.  and how long do the containers last being
exposed to the sun, heat and cold, etc??  And, do you arrange them in
rows or in landscape settings as in specific groupings?

Also, one other question/comment, please.
You mentioned that:
"The only disadvantage, container gardens are not allowed on regional
tours. Would love to have my garden in the Region 6 regional tour in
2003, but the local club tells me it is just not allowed."

    Is that just a local ruling or your regional one?  I have never seen
such a ruling either in any national context or in our regional (region
21) by-laws.  If it is a national/regional one, do you know what the
rationale behind it is?  I would think that people would welcome the
chance to see irises grown well in containers, or by other various
methods, for that matter.  I have been to national japanese iris tours
in which there were a few gardens with most (or, at least many) of the
japanese irises in pots standing in pools of water.  And these can be,
and were very attractive and instructive.  I can think of no good reason
for disallowing a garden specializing in growing irises in pots from
being on a regional tour, or even national tour for that matter.  Maybe
I have missed something in reading the bylaws, etc.  Can you shed any
light on where these ruling came from?

Gary White,
Lincoln, Nebraska  zone 4/5  where I still have a few JI and Spuria
irises blooming, and one siberian repeat blooming (Mesa Pearl)
PS.  I very much enjoyed the pictures of your irises and garden in
Iris-photos

>                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
  [Check out great fares at Orbitz!]

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor