HYB: CULT: Very late bloomers

  • Subject: HYB: CULT: Very late bloomers
  • From: vince lewonski <vincelewonski@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 20:18:53 -0700 (PDT)

--- jgcrump@erols.com wrote:
> Linda -- I think you and Judy Eckhoff of Kansas have
> helped me figure
> out what may be a solution to this problem.  If I send
> some of these
> late bloomers to some friends' gardens a couple of hours
> south of
> here, say, Richmond or even Fredericksburg, they might
> bloom at the
> right time for our shows in this area.  And, if so, it
> would be worth
> the round trip/s to be able to exhibit them, finally.
> I'm glad I
> sought the group's advice.  Thanks.
> Griff Crump, along the tidal Potomac in Virginia
> jgcrump@erols.com
   V. sez:
   They may be too late for TB season shows, but any chance
they could last until the beardless show? I have brought
the TBs RECHERCHE and SILVER FIZZ to what were supposed to
be JI shows, just to stir things up. Granted, they were on
the last bloom, and looked sad, but it adds some variety to
the bench, and lets people know that such late varieties
   I was at Bruce Hornstein's garden today, a day after the
FSK/C&P beardless show (MD/VA), and he still had one
Siberian (PINK HAZE) and several spurias still out. I was
disappointed to learn that he hadn't brought them to the
show. Would've been interesting.
   Another solution may be to send them way south, where
the season gets compressed. At the Dallas convention, it
was the tail end of the IB season, yet most LAs were in
bloom. These would be several weeks apart up north.
   Another solution is to personally take these late stalks
from your garden to a show in Canada... no, I won't pick up
the tab... ;=)

Vince Lewonski
Secane, Pennsylvania, USA Zone 6b
And Lo, for the Earth was empty of form, and void.
And Darkness was all over the Face of the Deep.
And We said:
'Look at that sucker DANCE!!!'

Do You Yahoo!?