Re: CULT: Potted Irises on Tours

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] CULT: Potted Irises on Tours
  • From: Gary White <bentfork@neb.rr.com>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 09:48:44 -0500

       I agree with you completely about “guest irises” in tour
gardens.  They must be handled exactly by the rules in the handbook.  As
Dr. Roy Epperson pointed out to us in judges training on “Ethics” during
the AIS national convention this spring, guest irises are the property
of the hybridizer.  And the garden owner must treat them as such.  (And,
guest irises must not be deadheaded, nor any part of the plant,
including pollen and seed, taken from it without the express permission
of the hybridizer.)

      In my mind, showing guest irises is a different issue from showing
one’s own collection of irises on a tour, any tour.   Most of us do not
grow our *own* irises by the “guest iris” rules laid down in the
convention handbook.  While a garden owner must abide by the rules for
growing guest irises;  I believe that it is very instructive to see
various possibilities in growing irises on regional and national tours.
For me, one of the primary reasons that I attend regional and national
tours is to see irises grown in new ways, in different settings, and to
appreciate the creativity of the gardeners in showing off their own
collections of irises.   If not for this creativity and exhibiting new
ideas for growing irises, those long bus rides between gardens would
hardly be worth it.

Gary White
Lincoln, Nebraska   zone 4/5
Region 21

iriscrazy@aol.com wrote:

> There are no rules that potted irises cannot be viewed on a tour.
> But, there
> is a rule that "guest irises" from hybridizers should be planted in
> the
> ground.
> According to the AIS Convention Handbook (1984) - Code of Ethics #4
> "All
> guest irises will be planted at least two feet apart in well-tended
> beds."
> Of course, these are the rules for an AIS National Convention, but I
> would
> hope that all Regional Spring Meetings showing guest irises also
> follow the
> Code of Ethics for the sake of all the hybridizers who provide guest
> irises.
> There are two pages in the section on "Tour Gardens" that include
> "Suggestions for Tour Garden Owners," "The Code of Ethics," and the
> "Duties,
> Obligations and Rules for Tour Garden Owners."  Hybridizers expect
> their
> guest irises to be handled and cared for according to these rules.
> Ann Cline
> Royal Oak Michigan
> Region 6
>                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor