CULT: Diseased TB?

  • Subject: CULT: Diseased TB?
  • From: "Barbara-Jean (BJ) Jackson" <jacksonb@brandonu.ca>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 15:36:04 -0000

Good Morning Iris folk,

I have been lurking for many months now but find myself in need of
advice.  I have done a search of the yahoo iris-talk archives but
cannot find anything to describe what one of my TBs has experienced
this year.

The affected iris is TB Helen Boehm (sp?).  This is its third year in
my garden and in the past two seasons it has performed well and
increased.  Last year it was beautiful.  This year, however, it has
not done well.  It grew normally in early spring and then just
stopped.  The foliage began to turn a sick looking orangey/yellowish
color starting at the top and working its way down the foliage and no
bloom stalks formed.  In order to find out what was happening, I dug
it up and examined the roots and rhizome.  Everything looked good, the
rhizome was nice and plump with no soft spots in evidence.  The roots
appear to be healthy, too.  Thinking it might be something in the soil
I replanted it in another area where no iris has grown for a number of
years.  The roots have anchored it quickly in its new home but the
leaf die back continues.  Last night I cut the foliage back to the
green which left very little of the green foliage left on the plant.

Would anyone have any advice as to what the problem is with this iris?
None of the other iris in the same area were affected, just this
specific one. Any assistance as to cause or cure would be gratefully

Thank you.

Barbara Jackson
"Sunny" Manitoba
Canadian Prairies